Thursday, January 24, 2008

Another Pity Party


I can remember when I used to run to figure out some of the problems that were happening in my life.
I could run and clear my mind and get back feeling refreshed mentally. I would solve work related issues, make decisions on upcoming events and even sometimes take out my frustrations on the pavement.
I remember times when I would run to release some of the built-up anger that I had stored within. Those were really fast training runs.
I say all of this because now I’m finding that running has become one of the issues that I’m having.
I’m starting to obsess about running injuries, running distances, and running speed. I need to get back to the basics when I ran because it was good for me. I can’t remember the last time I encountered that “runner’s high”. Do you remember when you had short periods of time when you were gliding above the pavement and running with hardly any effort?
I need to get back to my running roots, whatever they are and make it enjoyable again. I think back on all the injuries and can’t really enjoy my runs for fear of a twinge turning into another injury.
When I first starting running years ago, I was more patient with my running progress because I was soooooo ignorant. Now that I’m a little wiser, I’ve lost my patience for taking it a little bit at a time. I’m seeing more runners go farther and faster than me and I want it back now!
Maybe that’s what I’ll do and just vent for the next few weeks and tell every one of the horrible training runs that I had and what hurts now. Even that has changed for me, I can think back when everything about running was positive and upbeat.
Whew, I feel better already!
Okay, today runs was short but once again nothing hurt. The temps were in the teens but the sun was out and we know how infrequent that can be in Michigan. I ran along the riverfront to ensure that I would get the maximum amount of sunshine, it’s just something a bout that big ball of fire that energizes me.
Remember, it’s not fast you go but how you look!

3 comments:

Al Durham said...

And looking good if hard work! Keep running coach and remember all of the people you motivate and inspire.

Anonymous said...

this time of year brings out a lot of blahs and pity parties...keep your chin up and keep on truckin'

Cheryl said...

Hey, I like your blog. Got here via Pat's. I'm a Michigan native transplanted to Maine, and also doing the walk/run across AZ with you guys. I'm still in the blissfully ignorant (newbie runner) phase! :-)

 
;