Sunday, June 29, 2008

Rain, rain go away

Needing to get in a lot of miles in a short period of time means forgoing the weather reports and just cycling. We have been getting rain almost every day for the past few weeks, but not enough to start constructing the ark. I have enough issues with cycling on dry sunny days, so the wet pavement really makes for more white knuckle times.

Saturday's ride was supposed to be at least 50 miles but the weather and a flat tire made me settle for 42 miles. It was just like in the movies, I'm four miles from home and I get a flat without a spare tube, pump or tools. My cell phone battery is almost dead, so I can barely call for help and I say it can't get much worse. Well yes it can, the rain started to come down in buckets. So do I seek shelter or just walk? I chose the latter and began walking my bike back home. Fortunately I was able to call Sandy and get a ride the last two miles.

Sunday and a chance to test out the 'soft tissue' areas, as they're referred to in cycling literature. The plan was to get in my 50 miles and it started out like I would, but Mother Nature had other plans. Fifteen miles into the ride and it began to rain, not hard but consistent. So it was a rain soaked 37 miles but no flat tires!

Okay, I deserve a few BEvERages for the wet weekend!

6 comments:

Kim said...

Yes you do! Drink up!

Marcy said...

ROFLMAO AHHAHAHAHAHAAA "soft tissue" Dude I'm totally going to have to use that terminology.

Sonia said...

Sucky weather, at least it is not stupidly hot&humid which is usually is... 100F is not cool!

CoachLiz said...

LOL,

A little rain is not that bad. Think of it this way, if you have to take a wizz, you can go on the bike and the rain washes you off. No one will ever know! You never have to get off the bike!!!

Oh, wait, that may be too much for you to handle at this point in your cycling journey...

TNTcoach Ken said...

Ha, that just seems like it would be really messy!

teacherwoman said...

Your flat tire on your ride is my worst nightmare! No wait, if it would have happened when I was 20 miles out... now that is worse!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

 
;