Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Citizenship


Well, the 2008 summer Team in Training season officially ended with the Mayor's Marathon and ½ Marathon in Alaska and everyone successfully completed their event. Just from the brief conversation that I had with one of the coaches that attended, the tank trail (rocky terrain) took its toll on a few of them. I'm sure there are a few good stories to be told.

Non-running item alert! One of my co-workers became an American citizen over the weekend, so it was a celebratory feeling around the office yesterday. Can you imagine if you had to be admitted to this country instead of just being born here to become a citizen?

I'm sure that a lot of us have read or seen stories of third-world nations and the unbearable living conditions. So I'm giving a big plug to Engineers Without Borders (EWB) - a non-profit humanitarian organization established to partner with developing communities worldwide in order to improve their quality of life. This partnership involves the implementation of sustainable engineering projects. The Detroit chapter is having their inaugural Running for Water 5k August 10th in downtown Detroit, so if you're in the area...........

Running item - my knees feel great because I'm not running!


5 comments:

Marcy said...

You know what's sad is that most peeps in this country (me included) would fail those tests they give to peeps who want to become citizens.

CoachLiz said...

Marcy is right

No wonder everyone else in the world thinks we are Dumb Americans...

Motownrunner said...

congrats to your coworker friend!

my foot feels great because i'm not running!! sad. i'm going to have to change my blog name.

Lily on the Road said...

Congrats to your coworker, I had a Green Card Lottery pop up on my screen yesterday, mmmmmm

Enjoy your 5K in August!! Sounds like a worthy cause.....

Sonia said...

Wish I was there for the 5K! I hear its pretty hot&humid there right now!

Congrats to your co-worker!!

 
;