Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Race Smack Talk

I received a comment from tfh, regarding a comment that another runner made during a race. The comment was, "You're smiling too much, you're not working hard enough."!

Well, I’ve heard similar comments at races about me. I can’t just run and be quiet, I have to talk the entire event. I try to make it as social as possible. Talking helps me ensure that I’m not over exerting myself, plus it takes my mind off the excruciating pain......

This got me to thinking about what’s the craziest conversation or comments that you’ve gotten at an event. I know that those training run conversations can get pretty intense but that’s with people that you’re familiar with. I’m talking about talking junk with some stranger.

Tonight I’ll run with my Tuesday evening group and have a few BEvERages afterwards. The weather is perfect for frolicking through the streets of Detroit.


6 comments:

Jess said...

I don't generally converse with others while racing. I'm a loner in that way.

Coach Liz said...

Have some cold BEvERages for me. Still no power and my ice in the cooler is almost melted.

Sonia said...

I'm lovin more and more the talking during a race but some people don'T like it..

Marci said...

I am not much of a talker, but you sound like Hubs. He always makes new friends during races. Chat chat chat!!

tfh said...

Glad to hear I'm not the only one! I can understand the elite racers who can't expend energy talking, but for the rest of us is it really so hard to take a moment to motivate or distract others? Oh well. If we can't speed people up by distracting them with a few words or a smile, at least we can make them so annoyed they run faster just to pass us. :)

Marcy said...

Ohhhh I love to yak during a race. I'm sure a lot of people find it annoying but whatev LOL

 
;