Sunday, July 6, 2008

Butt of the joke

This Fourth of July weekend was the weekend to begin cramming for my Make-A-Wish 300-mile bike ride. Just as the Tour De France was starting out, I was going to get in consecutive days of long rides.
Sandy and I started on Friday with a 40+ mile ride and it wasn’t bad at all. The weather was perfect with little or no wind and the sun shined on us the entire ride. I’m feeling a little more confident about this thang!
Saturday was going to be a little longer and it didn’t feel good from the beginning. I was having some issue with my soft tissue areas just a few miles into the ride. Why is it the wind is constantly in my face but the trees aren't moving? Is there such a thing as ‘street wind’?
Needless to say, I had no legs and I wasn’t having any fun. If you can’t have fun doing it, why do it?
Forty miles into it, I was ready to get in any car, but we were still ten plus miles from home. Fortunately we happened upon a Party Store, so I knew what I needed to improve my attitude. After a few refreshing ounces of a cold BEvERage, I was ready to push on.
52 Miles of sun soaked, headwind blowing in my face the whole way, uphill all of the way, I was home.
Less than twenty days of intense training left for me before I die on the road!
Why is it that it always seemed like a good idea at the time……..

4 comments:

Marcy said...

Duuuuddee!! You stopped for a beer? ROFLMAO! Love it!

Sonia said...

You trooper!!! Beer stop at 40 miles is the best!! On your way to a successful 300 miler!!

Lily on the Road said...

Now that is my kind of ride, can I come and play with you and Sandy???

Hope your soft tissue man bits are feeling better soon!

You'll do just fine on the 300 miler!!! Everything is better with BEvERages!!!

Runner Leana said...

Ah, it is amazing how well those mid-ride carbo load sessions work, eh?

 
;