Saturday, May 10, 2008

Why does it bother me?

We had our 20/13 mile training run today and everyone did really well. These guys are ready for their events. I sent out an invite to some of the recent TNT alumni to join in on the fun and it was great to see a few showed up and help out.
Thanks to Sue, Debbie, Elsa, Robin and Cassandra. They ran with the group and shared their recent experiences at their TNT events. Sometimes hearing from a peer sinks in better than coming from the coach.It still brings a smile to my face when I hear the words, ‘this is the farthest that I’ve ever run’.

I would have had an additional coach but Sandy is down in Gnaw Bone, Indiana running in a 50k ultra. Boy, just because she has a head lamp doesn’t mean she has to run an ultra! It’ll be interesting to see how she does.

Well there was no running for me since I was course marshal, fluid station volunteer and course cheer leader for the team. It’s amazing how that can tire you out or was it the alarm going off at 5:00 AM?

Okay, here’s where the post title comes from.I know that I can’t please all of the people all of the time and that’s a way of life. So why does it bother me to have one person that isn’t pleased? I try to be attentive to each participant and it gets tough on the longer runs because of the distance between runners based on their pace. I had a runner that was struggling and I wasn’t there for them and it gnawing at me. Notice the gnaw reference again? It wasn’t life or death and I know I can’t be everywhere but it gets to me.

Okay, maybe a few BEvERages will get my mind off it!

3 comments:

Lily on the Road said...

It's nice to have concern for all of your runners, but sometimes the runner has to be accountable for their own struggle....we can only do what we can do, the rest is a running mind game.

Every day has different results...just like every run has different results...they'll be fine...

Runner Leana said...

Ken, I'm sure it bugs you because you care so much about all of your runners. Unfortunately you cannot please everyone and I'm sure you did the best you could.

P.O.M. said...

Beverages will help.
You seem to really care about your peeps and do a great job. Lily said it quite elequently.

 
;