Monday, May 19, 2008

The Word ‘just’

It’s that time in the training when the participants always preface their mileage with the word ‘just’. This past Saturday, all they ran was ‘just’ eight miles or the ½ participants did ‘just’ six miles. I remember when these were their long runs! A few of them did comment on how the time has gone by so fast, even though we started in February and the weather hasn’t changed a lot!

I remember once when Grete Waitz ran the New York marathon with Fred LeBeow before he past away. She mentioned how difficult it was to run at a slower pace than she was accustomed to. Well, I spent my Saturday doing damage control tagging along with one of my participants for most of their long run. Since most of the team was doing shorter mileage, this participant had my undivided attention.

I swear that I was more fatigued from running a much slower pace over the course of seven miles than I would have been running at race pace!

Once again the weather in the high-five state for this weekend was crappy. We had rain, sunshine, wind gust and cooler temps in just the morning hours!

5 comments:

Marcy said...

I feel that way a lot when I run at a slower pace. I swear sometimes it's just easier to run at normal speed LOL

Lily on the Road said...

Yup, I JUST did 16K yesterday LOL.

We are having the same crappy weather here today, thanks for sending it along my way!!! JK...

Al Durham said...

Come on coach. Just 50 miles...lol

Sonia said...

I've been dealing with this a lot since I started the Learn to Run with my Aunt and Dad. Running at 13+ min/mile is HARD!

I wish I was in that position where I only ran a 12 miler.... unfortunately anything over 6 miles is LONG! stupid PF

Jeff said...

You're absolutely right, Ken. It's all relative. Not to mention the look that "normal" people give you when you tell them you "only ran 10 miles". Ha ha, maybe someday they'll learn.

 
;