Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Wednesday's Why????

Why did they stop running??????

That's the question that I've asked myself several times about some of my old training partners.

I know that injuries are the cause for some of them but for others it's like they just stopped!

For the life of me I can't imagine not running. I know that when I'm 97, I'll probably have to stop but not until then.

I've talked to several people that have just stopped running for no apparent reason other than they stopped!

I know that I'm not running the same pace that I once did or there are no PRs in my near future, but I keep going.

For me it's like a bird not flying! How odd would that be to see a bird walking instead of flying????

I know a lot of you are still in the prime of your running career and can't imagine not running but some day it may happen. So cherish the moments that you're out there....

Stay thirsty my friends....

10 comments:

Unknown said...

i don't plan to stop until i really need to. sadly, my knee is bothering me again, so i might need to take another break. me + no running = disaster

Marlene said...

I've only been running a few years and I still find it hard to imagine a future without it. I also find myself wondering about former running buddies who seem to have just stopped. Shame!

it's all about pace said...

I can't imagine stopping... havent gone more than a week w/o running in over 14 years.

Joanna said...

I can't imagine either. Even on rest or XT days sometimes I just want to go for a run.

Evolving Through Running said...

No plans to stop until my body makes me stop. Too much a part of me.

Jess said...

Sometimes a person's interests may change and they may simply desire a different form of exercise. Me, I'm like you, to me, running is the best exercise, but that's not true for everyone.

Lindsay said...

good question. i used to run with a group of guys who were training for their first marathon. one got 'hurt' and quit running, but i think a workout to him did not need to involve running (which is alright... i guess). the other guys ran their marathon and then it was like it was crossed off the list so don't need to run anymore. weirdos. i get so moody if i don't run.

Detroit Runner(Jeff) said...

I can't imagine. What I do to keep motivated to keep running - sign up for races. Nothing like a half or full marathon to keep you running! LOL. I love it.

Anonymous said...

I know folks who crossed the marathon off their bucket list and stopped. Some decided they didn't like running after all or had to stop because of injuries. I still enjoy running, trying new stuff (trails, ultra) to keep challenging myself.

Anonymous said...

I agree Ken, I really almost stopped though after Feb 28 my last marathon. I've exercised all my life and never understood people who have zero interest.

 
;