Friday, April 18, 2008

Lower Numbers

I know that a lot of you in Blogland are trying to get into those skinny jeans or just want to lose a few lbs to enhance your performance.
Well, I’m not trying to lose any pounds but I am trying to get a number lower. I’m trying to get my cholesterol back into the desirable range. At my last blood test I was just above 260, which is well above the American Heart Association’s High range for high of 240.
Now, I’ve always had high numbers due to the wonderful genes that were bestowed upon me by my parents. I could eat a steady diet of grass and still have high numbers.
But as I get older, I’m starting to take closer look at these numbers and noe I know that I have to make some changes in my diet.
So the plan is:

· Cut back on the ridiculous amount of meat that I consume (save a cow)
· No potato chips (okay, I’ll still eat them but not as many)
· More fruit & veggies (yummy)
· More beans and lentils (don’t get behind me)
· More fiber (I hate oatmeal)

I’m hoping to get my number close to 200 with the aid of medication and healthy eating. Stay tuned.

5 comments:

CoachLiz said...

DUDE!!!

You have to get that number down. Take the Cheerio Challenge. They say you can knock 10 points off your cholesterol by eating them.

Becka said...

My dear hubby has been blessed with similar genetics. He has added garlic supplements to help get his number down. He uses GarlicMax brand. They have very little odor, and I don't notice any "garlic" breath. :)

He is down 20 points, and hasn't made big dietary changes. And, oh yeah, he has added Metamucil to his daily regimen. At last testing, he was down to 220.

Good luck, and keep us posted on the #s! Becka

Sonia said...

Good luck on getting your cholesterol lower! I know its hard, I'm a potatochip-holic... I can eat a full bag and not feel my tongue from the salt and would want to eat more! It's hard! Back to training when I get back to montreal!!

Hope you're enjoying the great weather we're having!

Lily on the Road said...

Good for you Ken to take the steps to having a healthier heart and lower your cholesterol...you are most certainly on the right track, smaller meals but increase the number of times you eat during the day...add protein through nuts and lenils, omega3 eggs, fish and fibre....lots and lots of juice and water....

You are on the right track (no pun intended)

Best Wishes,

;^)

Anonymous said...

yep, you gotta get that number down! My husband takes crestor...really does work...especially when it is genetic!!
good luck!

 
;