Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Flash, I Ain't


Okay, I don’t want to jinx myself but I’ve had some really good runs this past week. Due to being geographically challenged yesterday evening, my easy 4 miler turned into a 6 mile run. The good news about this is there was no real pain or twinges in my knee! The bad news is I ran longer than scheduled and got to the beer stop after everyone else. That’s right, beer stop. We will throw in a beer stop on the route just as a reward. The hard part is getting back to the restaurant after the beer stop, but it’s usually just a mile to go.
The next hurdle for me to get over is this speed thang! I saw most of my running group just fade away from me in the horizon. To make matters worst, some of these people had run a ½ marathon on Sunday. This was there ‘take it easy’ run. I can remember those visions of climbing the age group rankings just through attrition and maintaining what used to be conditioning. Little did I realize that the guys that would continue to race were the really fast ones.
I should be happy just to be running again but it’s tough to no longer be a middle of the packer. Now I the caboose for the group! If I could find my mojo, I’m sure that my speed can’t be too far from it. When you lose stuff you just retrace your steps to find it right? It’s not like I’m asking for all of it back, I’d be happy with a little more than half of it back. I could probably plant some and let it grow now that the weather is warmer and the sun shines a lot longer.

4 comments:

CoachLiz said...

I have had luck with the mojo jo jo when I just go out there to have fun, no matter what. No sneaky negative thoughts that creep up on you and jump you from the bushes. You just have to say, out loud, I am taking it easy today (going slow, focusing on breathing, form, thinking about my favorite screen actor/actress, etc.)

It always helps when I know that the people passing in cars or the mom's waiting to get kids off the bus are green with envy that they are not out running like I am or have a smoking hot bod that running gives ya.

Being the caboose is better than being the goose.

Libbie said...

It's good to know that the knee pain was all in your head! Now that you can run and enjoy it, I'm sure that a quicker pace is not far behind!

Sonia said...

YAY KNEE!!

Seriously, I need to find a group to train with that have a beer stop 1 mile before the end of the run.... WTH this is SO COOL!!!!

Marathoner in Training said...

Glad your knee is doing better, just go slowly on the increase of milage. If my runs had a beer stop 1 mile before the end, I would be a propetual DNF. I will say that being slow is better than a DNF, or a DNS (did not show), or a DNR (did not register/do not run). Keep up the great job.

 
;