Thursday, April 10, 2008

TNT Track Workout

Yesterday we had our inaugural TNT midweek track workout. I’ve never tried having mid-week group training in the past due to scheduling conflicts but this seemed like the thing to do for my summer team. It’s not like the team wasn’t getting in their miles but a little motivation never hurts.
I was shocked to hear a few of the team mention that they had never run on a track before, so we even went over track etiquette. You know the stuff like don’t spit in the lane with a runner in it.
Since this was the first workout I wanted to keep it simple, so we did pyramids starting with 400s up to 1200s with 400 recoveries.
It was so much fun to see everyone start off so fast on their first lap. Why do we do that? This was a great way to see each individual and work with them for short periods of time on the track. One of my favorite sayings to them is,’. you run like a girl’. Which they always reply back, ‘that’s because I am’.
Towards the end of the session the team was slowing down dramatically but they were still moving forward.
Needless to say we’ll be hitting the track next week!

3 comments:

Laura said...

Hey, now, I am an English teacher and I like to write. So I wax a bit epic in some of my blogs.

Wish I could do the track workouts w/ you guys-- but just can't go on that Odyssey that far to the east side

Sonia said...

Add a beer station! That will motivate them alright ;-)

Watch out for that tornado!

Anonymous said...

Heehee, I wouldn't have even the first quarter of a clue as to proper track etiquette, either :) Actually...and this is a big secret, so don't go spreading it around anywhere, y'hear...I still don't even know what a 400 repeat is. I read about them all over the place and know they're something I should probably be doing (maybe? possibly? who knows?), but I haven't the slightest clue as to what they are. There's a newbie for ya.

 
;