Thursday, August 28, 2008

Mo' Research

Well its back to the drawing board for me. Since our running club had our 15th annual Grand Prix Shakedown on Tuesday evening, I was over served adult BEvERages and pizza.

I thought that my body could handle the pizza, since I’ve already proven that crappy eating is a part of my running success, but being over served wasn’t part of the formula.

So to ensure proper research, I opted out of the early morning run, in hopes that I would feel normal later in the day.

It’s amazing how that last BEvERage gets me the next morning???

I’m sure in a typical research study all of the variables that could affect the outcome are controlled better, but this is real low-budget.

So it was a lunchtime run, to continue my research into success running preparation.

Of course it was a thousand degrees outside and I was still struggling to hold onto my breakfast (literally), but research called.

I could tell from the onset that this would be a failed experiment but I continued. I love it when we run with the optimism that things may indeed get better, as if some divine intervention will take place.

Even with music blaring from my Ipod, I could still hear the pounding of my feet on the pavement or was that just my head pounding?

My heart rate must be close to 200 bpm for me to be feeling this crappy?

A quick glance and my Garmin read HR 145.

That can be right I’m dying out here!

Something must be wrong with the HR strap, let’s stop and readjust it.

How many times have you lied to yourself about stopping in order to get a break?

My favorite is the loose shoe lace.

So now I’m making deals with myself, which is always another sure sign of a crappy run.

I’ll only walk until that next tree or I’ll walk in the shade and run when the shade runs out.

I eventually made it back to work

I’m sure Thomas Edison had his setbacks when he invented the Model T and I’ve learned from this failed experiment.

So now I can scratch pizza off the list of crappy foods that make for great runs!

9 comments:

Marcy said...

Fo reals! Making deals IS a classic sign of a bad run LOL

tfh said...

Your description took me right back to my last desperate, midday, overly optimistic-but-nauseated-not-gonna-make-it run. Blech.

Kim said...

Keep a 'running' (ha) tally of crap running food that makes for a good run and you could have a best seller on your hands.

L*I*S*A said...

Far from failed.

Simply take it one crappy food at a time.

CoachLiz said...

I'm sure that Edison did have his setbacks but at least he stuck it out and we got the light bulb.

Save the crap food for the victory party.

Jess said...

I'm glad you're the one doing this painful research and not me. We appreciate your sacrifice in the name of science!

Lily on the Road said...

mmmm, stopping for a loose shoe lace, I'll have to remember that one!!

Sonia said...

hahaha great experiment my little apprentice! You're close to getting a Ph.D. with this lol

Pat said...

My favorite reason to stop is the approaching car. Usually, I can't make out what type of car it is.

 
;