Sunday, June 26, 2011

Wow Weekend

This was an interesting running weekend for me. It started with a 4:00 AM wake-up call to make it to the start line for the Solstice Races.

My official title is Start Line Coordinator, which means answer any and all questions that arise at the start, since I will be the only race person there!

I had the opportunity to see a lot of familiar faces including Jeff from Detroit Runner.

We had over 3500 participants in all of the races which included a Maui Mile for the kids. The winning kids were neck and neck at the finish line with a time of 7:03 and one of them couldn't have been more than seven!

After the race I wasn't able to stick around because that damn grass keeps growing and I knew I had a guy running 100 miles for the Relay for Life!

Now this was my first experience with Relay for Life but I think most of the participants walk around the track as teams for 24 hours. My friend was the only runner and it made for some weaving between people as we ran. I knew that I wouldn't be able to spend a lot of time running with him but I did want to show my support. We were averaging 12:00/mile including little breaks. He had quite a following from our local running club and a few people that were running with him in the wee hours of the night. Needless to say, this old guy slept like a baby.

So my volunteer Saturday turned out to be awesome..............

So time to relax and start the BBQ....

Peace

4 comments:

Anne said...

Sounds like you spent a lot of your weekend helping others. Great way to build up karma points.

Unknown said...

volunteers rock! i'm sure the athletes out there appreciated you taking your time for them.

Marlene said...

You help out at so many events in the community - good on ya! Hope you enjoyed the BBQ!!!

Rose (Hacker Half Marathon) said...

Great job this weekend! Solstice Run was so well organized, thanks to amazing volunteers like you. Can't wait to meet sometime soon!

 
;