Monday, October 22, 2007

Marathon Sunday

Although I knew I wasn’t running the entire ½ marathon I did want to start the race, even though this meant a 5:00 AM wake-up alarm.

So I took off with the other 14,999 runners/walkers into the darkness of Detroit. Now I wasn’t running fast and I was enjoying the company of the runners I was around but I decided two miles out was far enough.

I officially dropped out of the marathon at mile 2, which meant I had to run back to the start line and become a cheerleader.

Even though a lot of people look like they’re in agony, I was still jealous that they were able to run.

I covered 6 miles running from spot to spot and my knee ballooned to the size of a small volleyball. Fortunately I ended my trek at the River’s Edge Grille with an ice cold beer. The medicinal uses of beer are amazing, I could drink one and use one to ice my knee at the same time.

2 comments:

Sonia said...

I agree thank the lord for beer ;-)

We also learned the hard way that Michigan only sell beer at noon and I was done my half for 10'ish!! Not a happy trooper here!

I think I saw you on the course!! Near a recreational centre.... you wore a TNT pruple shirt? I wanted to scream your name but it took me some time to process in my brain that it was you... lol Where you the one I'm thinking of???

Good decision on not running it all!

TNTcoach Ken said...

No, that wasn't me. We were handing out beer at mile 25, so I couldn't wear my TNT shirt! Sorry you had to learn that beer lesson the hard way. We always bring a cooler for the finish.

 
;