Friday, February 19, 2010

¿dice usted el francés?

As we get closer to the 2010 Spring Team in training events, I got to thinking about the Paris marathon and the one participant that I have on my team.

Since I only have one runner going, I will not be the coach traveling with the team but I still need to get my runner as ready as possible. So I'm going to take a crash course in some of the common running phrases translated into French.

  • What mile are we at?
  • Is that Lance Armstrong?
  • What wine goes with a marathon?
  • Who helped who during the BIG war?
  • Can you take my picture?
  • Is my beret on right?
It's going to be quite different for the participants in several ways. The aid stations are every 5k and they'll have plenty of water, raisins, oranges and bananas. Now I don't know about you but in the latter stages of the marathon, I loved seeing those aid stations every mile!

I've been tempted the last few weeks to see if my blog controls the weather in my area. I haven't really spoken of the lack of snow that we've been getting since other areas have been hogging all of it (Washington, New York, etc.). I've yet to use my snow blower and it's primed and ready. I haven't logged one of my runs in the mall parking lot this winter, as opposed to several last winter. We haven't canceled a TNT training run. Okay, I think that's enough, now we should get dumped on!

Oh I almost forgot, the title is French for 'do you speak french?'...........

7 comments:

Hannah said...

"What wine goes with a marathon?" Cracks me up! Love it!

Marlene said...

Ahahaha, your runner will be well prepared with those phrases!

I would LOVE to find bananas, oranges and raisins at aid stations!

Lily on the Road said...

actually parlez vous francais will work too. Good Luck to the team going to Paris!

Ha! You are a fashionesta worrying about your beret!!

o2bhiking said...

Ou est la salle du bain? (where's the bathroom?) - I think I am close on the spelling of that. Long time since my French classes. How cool that you have a participant for Paris! Ooo la la! Vive La France! Bon nuit!

Dana said...

LOL...isn't that title Spanish??

Coach Liz said...

You need to suggest to your runner that if they are not yet using a Fuel Belt or another hydration system that they need to start practicing with it now. It takes time getting used to having something around your waist or in your hand and using it. Aid stations every 5K can be a stretch if someone is not used to it.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

suggest that they make sure it's water in their fuel belt and not wine or something. Ummm, need help on french translation, I can help!!! :) It would be amazing to go to France for a race, too bad you're not going though.

 
;