Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Wednesday's Where????

I had the opportunity to drive pass an area that I worked at over ten years ago and it I was immediately flooded with a ton of good memories.

This was a time when job seemed plentiful and I was younger and running like a gazelle. Okay, at least in my mind!

The one thing that really jumped out at me was the apparent vacancy in a large portion of the business buildings int he area. I'm talking about parking lots that could hold hundreds of cars that were empty!

Where did all of these jobs/people go? I know the answer but it still amazes me what has transpired. We still have the same number of NFL, NBA, NHL teams. We have fewer newspapers, auto dealers, retail stores just as an example.

I sometimes get truly afraid of where this great country of ours is going. What will my kids and even I have to go through in the next twenty years?

Okay, enough of that! Just a few more days until the streets of Detroit are teaming with the pitter pat of big feet. I have my TNT assignment and I am ready to yell at folks.

I'm still deciding on which obnoxious hat to don for the event but I will be noticeable....

6 comments:

Lily on the Road said...

It is very scary, I worry about that sort of thing everyday. Being single and getting older, if I lose my job (for whatever reason), what would I do....gah....

Okay, enough sad stuff!

Jess said...

"Time" just had a cover story about the lost city of Detroit. It was a great article. You should check it out.

Unknown said...

I got 2 runners in Detroit. i know you'll treat them right. Hope it is a great weekend.

Unknown said...

Hey another question, have ever had the national TNT coaching certification? I am lucky enough to get it at Disney next year and was hoping to know what to expect.

o2bhiking said...

Yeah, things never stay the same. The USA and the World sure have tons of huge problems.

Coach Liz said...

I saw that article in Time as well and it is upsetting that politicians can pull strings like that and do things that are not for the best of the city and its people (ALL of its people) and instead work their own angle and let the city infrastructure take a beating that leaves it weak and prone to collapse.

 
;