Tuesday, September 8, 2009

It was UGLY!

Okay, I did something stoooooooooooo-pid and it wasn't pretty.

As I laid on the couch watching 'Running the Sahara' and enjoying my own pity party, I decided to attempt to get in one mile.

How do you justify limping to the car to drive to the track and run?

This stupid streak had all of a sudden consumed my running life. How was I ever going to recover from any injury if I continued to run?

Everyone knows that your body needs time to heal!

So why was I going to attempt it?

It just seemed like the right thing to do a the time, so call me stupid.

When I got to the track I told myself if it took longer than three minutes to run 400 I would stop or if the pain was so bad I couldn't run.

I shortened my stride to the point of almost running in place and must have looked like a real 'runner'! I even intentionally wore a cotton T-shirt and cargo shorts, in case someone might mistaken me for a runner.

There was some slight discomfort and I almost stopped a couple of times but I finished the first lap in 2:54! I could continue under the conditions that I promised myself and once I got to the 1/2 mile point, I knew I could get in one mile.

One mile in 10:42 , it wasn't pretty but it was one mile.

I followed that with another one mile on the track on Labor Day and my knee is actually getting better. I think it was a muscle strain that ice and ibuprofen help with the pain.

So when people ask me if I limping, I just say 'no' this is my cool walk!!!!

2 comments:

Marlene said...

Ken, Ken, Ken, what will we do with you?

Good news that it seems to be getting better!

Running 365 said...

I'm cracking up at you wearing 'cotton T-shirt and cargo shorts, in case someone might mistaken me for a runner.'

Good cover!

You can use my loophole too if you need too! But, I'm with you...I'd like to reserve it for emergencies only, but my husband is the most relentless practical person in the world and he's really against this whole daily running thing. So when it comes down to fighting over it or just saving a run for later, I've just decided to keep the peace.

 
;