Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St. Patty's Day


After a horrendous attempt at running on Friday, I was able to get out with my TNT group and put in 10 miles without any real problems. I try to be in several places at one time so it was kind of different for me to run with the group for a long period of time. I didn’t have any issues with my knees, so I’m chalking this up as a good day. I also knew that Sunday would be a long day since I was volunteering for our local St. Patrick’s Day 4 Miler.

Flash forward to Sunday morning ……………

You ever say yes to something and really feel good about it until the time comes to do it? It’s bad enough that I have to be subjected to working forty hours a week and waking up in the dark. The weekends roll around and I get up earlier than normal for team training. Now I have to miss out on my Sunday beauty rest to stand in the cold? Okay, I just wanted to vent. This race has grown dramatically over the last few years. The weather was ideal for running but cold for volunteering. I was able to find a spot on the course where I could stand on a two-foot block to be a little visible as the runners went pass. Now remember, I’m a 6 foot 4 inch Black guy at a foot race, how visible do I have to be? Anyway, I can’t believe the number of runners that wanted high-fives as they passed my corner. Fortunately I was wearing gloves and didn’t contract nor pass along any germs.
To make for an even longer day, we have a tradition of taking part in the actual St. Patty’s Day parade. I think it started as a joke to see if they would allow a group of runner’s entry. Now each year we have a theme for our float (pickup truck) in combination with the passing out of beads. This is the most walking that I’ve done in quite some time. Now I remember why I run as opposed to walk.

Flash forward to Monday moanin’………….

Hangover Day and the weather turned back to the ever present hue of grey! Since I didn’t run on Sunday, it was my intentions to get in an early Monday morning run, well the weather obviously didn’t pay attention to the calendar and we had another day of temperatures below freezing. Any reasons not to go pounding the pavement in my delicate state, so I opted for Good Morning America.

0 comments:

 
;