Thursday, March 20, 2008

Can't Quit Now

To race or not to race, that is the question! I’ve been straddling the fence about entering a few local races, since I’ve had soooo many running related injuries. One part of me just wants to run really slow and not have to put forth the grueling effort necessary. Then I read an article about Derek Jeter in Men’s Health and he talks about how competitive he is and how it was instilled in him as a child.
Well, I’ve always been competitive, especially in team sports. Then I was introduced to these individual competitive activities and I fell in love with them. I always look forward to pushing myself physically past my preserved limitations.
Sandy has been prodding me to run a race like I used to. Fellow runners have been asking me for the past few years when will I be back.
I’ve know quite a few runners that are no longer running for various reasons and they stay away from races and exclude themselves from social activities where a lot of runners will be. I don’t want to end up like that.
So, I’ll go and register for a few races and give it my all, whatever that is now. I’ll be able to feel the agony of defeat and the associated pain. I’ll be the really old guy that little kids point at and EMS unit travel behind.
I’m not saying that I’ll be able to generate the speed from my past but I ain’t gonna quit!
Thanks to f&#king Derek Jeter!

5 comments:

Marcy said...

Can I get you a Yankee's cap now? :P Got a ton of extras in the house hehe

Sonia said...

I think you should come to the south of the border for a 5K at Malden Park on April 6th, my last race in Windsor!

http://www.runningfactory.com/races_new.html

Anonymous said...

Good for you!
This is exactly where I am right now...do I just keep the safe easy slow pace or go for it with "effort".
I think my problem is more fear than anything. And even though its individual...i don't like getting beat... ha!

L*I*S*A said...

I think you are right on. Go, run YOUR race and enjoy. :)

Al Durham said...

Races? Go Coach! Does that mean you are going to be running the CRIM this year and possibly the Detroit marathon? Or can we talk you into an Ultra...lol I know fat chance in that since you have an higher IQ than I do.

 
;