Monday, September 15, 2008

Let it Rain, let it rain......

It rained the entire weekend here in the high five state but that didn’t stop me from getting out there and torturing myself. Not only did we have humidity but the temps were in the high seventies, so it wasn’t any fun. I’ve always told myself, if it isn’t fun don’t do.

This got me to thinking about how much fun running was and still is (on rare occasions). I particularly enjoyed running through the puddles and being the only idiot out there this weekend. I truly think one of the main attractions of open road running for me is being able to run in the streets. I can remember as a little kid being reprimanded by my mother for playing in the streets. You know, ‘..don’t play in the streets, you’ll get hurt’.

I’ve heard all of the great points of trail running and how you’re bonding with nature but give me a busy road and I’m in heaven. When I’m in the street I know that I can’t stop when I’m tired, I have to give the illusion that running is fun. I hate seeing runners having those expressions that death is near, how are we suppose to recruit more runners looking like that?

So when you on your last leg and can’t run another step, remember that someone may be looking at you……

7 comments:

Sonia said...

You're totally right, we should put a smile on our face even if we're tired =)

I remember how I loved running before this whole foot problem... hopefully I will be there soon again...

Did you read about the girl who gave me the finger at the race? She should read your post lol

Pat said...

Darn you coach, I look for reasons to walk. But, I agree, make sure you're having a good time.

Marcy said...

MI is the 5 five state?!? What?

Maybe I'm a weirdo but I always smile even in the later miles . . . but I'll get back to you on this during miles 21-26 of the marathon :P

Jess said...

Running in inclement weather always makes ya feel like a badass.

Kim said...

So true. So true!!

tfh said...

Great reasoning about smiling. During my recent race, one runner yelled at me, "You're smiling too much, you're not working hard enough." But the truth is, smiling is very close to grimacing and often the easiest thing to do when in pain. Keep up the illusion!

Marlene said...

I admin that seeing a car, a walker or (especially) another runner coming toward me helps me ignore the urge to slow down, walk, stop or cry. Put on a happy face and push through! Make it look easy! :)

 
;