Monday, May 5, 2008

Some Assembly Required

Like most people, I like things simple, so I purchased my new toy because it was wireless, which translated into simple for me.
I remember the first wired computer I installed and didn’t want to go through that fiasco again. Who knew to wrap the wires around the bike stem?
So how can you spend three hours and two beers (obligatory beer reference) installing and configuring a wireless bike computer? The physical installation was pretty straight-forward but who knew that you would have to configure this thing?
The instructions were really of no use to me, even though they were printed in eighteen different languages.
This little 2.5 GHZ computer that has features my first car didn’t have needs to differentiate all of the signals that it was receiving from the numerous sensors on the bike. Is the signal coming from the heart-rate monitor or the cadence sensor or is it the speed that I’m cruising?
After several failed attempts at synching every signal, I was cruising down the street monitoring my RPM as my heart rate climbed along with my speed.
I can now tell other cyclist what the temperature is while riding, doesn’t everyone need to know that?
I am also glad to announce that my TNT team in Vancouver rocked! Most of the full marathoners wanted to run sub 4 and all of them did except one, who ran 4:03. Can you believe it, these people ran between 3:45 and 3:53! I am so proud of them all.

Go Team

3 comments:

Lily on the Road said...

Congrat's to your team in Vancouver!!! The "May the 4th be with them" truly worked!! Great times,

and yes,

the beer reference is mandatory!

Sonia said...

Wow you're so high-tech Ken!! lol

I spent 3h trying to install a router tp have wireless internet on my lap top... well yeah I'm still using my dad's computer, the damn thing never f%$!@$# worked.... you're not alone! Wish I had some beer!

Al Durham said...

Don't you work in IT also? Oh is that the mannual still in the box? LOL

 
;