Monday, October 17, 2011

Freep 2011

What a great day for a run with a few thousand friends!

The day started too early but that's what marathoning is about, getting up before the butt crack of dawn.....

I had a plan on how I was going to spectate, run, cheer and overall enjoy the whole event.
But alas, plans are made to be changed!

Get to the start line and meet and greet folks that I knew.
(Got up later than planned and hurried to the start line as the National Anthem was being sung)


Cheer and take a photo with B.o.B.
(Never saw her the entire time she was here, tear trickles from eye)

Take photos of all the folks I knew.
(Ditto excuse from previous)

Watch the start of the race from about a quarter away from the start to see all the folks I knew.
(Made it to a spot about a quarter mile away from the start but it was still dark and I couldn't find anyone)

Head back to the hotel and change into running cloths.
(Headed back to the hotel but kept being stopped by folks that I knew that were volunteering and even had a coffee with one of them. He insisted on buying me one!)

Cheer the front runners as they came out of the tunnel from Canada.
(Drinking coffee and talking to volunteers)

Run a few miles with some of the 1/2 marathoners that I knew would need assistance towards the end of their race.
(Finished coffee and searched for a Porta-Potty)

Make it to the 1/2 marathon split to cheer for them.
(Got close but started seeing full marathoners that I knew, even got a photo taken)


Make my way to mile 24 to help hand out beers for the full marathoners.
(I did actually make it to the Beer check in time, although I had to run on the course in my jeans and Packer hoodie!)

Hand out beers and yell words of encourgaement.
(Accomplished)

Yell out words of encouragement for people I knew.
(Actually did a little running with some folks. One of our faster marathoners finished in 2:44 and I ran with him for about a quarter mile. He was kicking my ass and he had already run 24 miles! I also ran with Detroit Runner Jeff, he wasn't having any fun at the time and didn't even want a BEvERage????)

We got him back to running and he met his goal time of sub-4!

Lastly, I wanted to get with my Tuesday running club and celebrate with food and refreshments at a local restaurant.
(Accomplished and enjoyed)

So there you have it, another long day in the 'D' but well worth it!




7 comments:

Marlene said...

Sounds like a pretty awesome day out there, even if it didn't all go according to plan. I'm sure everyone appreciated the support!

Anne said...

It's like you were a minor celebrity that day - and a fine representative for the city of Detroit. Go Ken Go.

Rose (Hacker Half Marathon) said...

You're the man for coming out to spectate! I know I really appreciate everyone that cheered for me and pretended we were all best friends :)

Unknown said...

Way to spectate!!

Detroit Runner(Jeff) said...

Haha! What a bad picture of me!! That was the worst point in the race until I saw you! You did a great job getting around. You must have done a half marathon yourself with all that running around. Thanks again for the awesome help!

Joanna said...

You crack me up. So you didn't hit all your goals. Still sounds like a great day at the races.

Run Jess Run said...

...wait a minute...hold the phone...you were walking through downtown Detroit wearing a Packers sweatshirt?? When the Lions are good??!!

 
;