Monday, August 27, 2007

Post-Crim and Mo’ Stuff

What always marks the end of my summer is waking in the dark to drive to Flint for a day full of running and drinking.
What else can you do in Flint?
I can’t remember a starting line for a race being soooo crowded, we were literally on the sidewalk waiting to start.
I was running with TNT participants from the Fall/Winter team.
Sandy was going to run with a few of her members and I would just free-lance.
I started with Bob (check out his account of the race) and Rachel, both wanting to run around 10-minute miles.
I think the crowd actually helped keep them at that pace for the first few miles.
I knew I wasn’t going to run the entire ten miles and I did want to see the winners finish, so I left them at mile 3 and headed back to the finish line.
It’s amazing how many times I heard someone says, ‘..you’re going the wrong way’!
This is the first time that I’ve ever been able to see the finish of an elite race. The winner finished the 10 mile race in 47 minutes and eleven seconds! Bob and Rachel hadn’t made it to the five-mile mark yet!
It’s amazing to see what two legs can do when propelled at a faster than mine rate of speed!
I was able to stick around the finish long enough to see quite a few runners that I knew finish in under seventy minutes.
I went back on the course to run/cheer for other runners and it was a blast. I was able to spark a few people around mile 9 when things weren’t going so well.
Everyone finished and then the rain came down. The rain did put a damper on a lot of folks staying, but we continued with our normal trash talking and beer drinking.
So long summer!

0 comments:

 
;