Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Let the games begin!



I am officially almost ready for the holiday season.
The artificial pre-lit Christmas tree is assembled and decorated.

Low flying planes can now maneuver safely at night with the aid of the lamination from our decorated house.

I’m already getting annoyed with radio stations playing ‘only’ Christmas music.

Lastly, I have yet decided on any gift to but for anyone. Yes, let the games begin.

My string of consecutive days of exercise ended on Thanksgiving but it wasn’t because I didn’t want to exercise. I volunteered for our local Turkey trot 10K and had a blast.

Now I’ve been told that I have a large and loud personality, so to be given a megaphone for crowd control was a gift from the gods to me.

I could tell the same joke over and over and for every new group of runners that approached, it was new and fresh. I was in heaven.

I am still in awe whenever someone says that I help make the event that much better just by my presence. So if you have the chance to help out at a race, please do. It’s so worthwhile and events can never have too many volunteers.

After the race it was off to the annual Thanksgiving game at Ford Field to watch my Green Bay Packers defeat the Detroit Lions. The number of Packer fans that attended the game surprised me.

On the running front, I’ve been able to get in some short runs without any significant knee pain but I’m not going to get crazy just yet. I’ve also put the bike on the trainer and actually rode for over an hour.

Since I’ll be running in the snow, sleet and colder temps, I’m thinking of purchasing a Trail running shoe. My feet get really cold on the longer runs and I’m thinking the trail shoes would be better insulated, any thoughts out there?

2 comments:

Runner Leana said...

I agree, I love volunteering. I think it is great to be on the other side of things, and it really makes you appreciate all those folks handing you water and cheering you on during a race.

You are right - I am running alone now. The group I was running with before was training for the Nike in San Francisco so now that I'm on to my really, really long runs I'm on my own. I have a group I can run with on Saturdays (my bikini boot camp instructor's TNT group), but that still leaves those long Sundays for just me. I really felt like I could have used a pep talk at some points on Sunday so I'll have to see if I can recruit someone to rollerblade with me if the pathways are clear enough.

Sonia said...

Not sure how the trail shoes compare to running shoes but I use dry-fit wool socks and that makes a huge difference for me.

Good for you for volunteering and making a difference! =)

 
;